Amethyst House Annual Campaign
Amethyst House has been expanding services in the past year in order to meet the demands of a growing drug epidemic. We serve not only the Bloomington community but people and families throughout the State of Indiana. Since 2008, drug overdoses have surpassed automobile fatalities as the leading cause of accidental death in the United States; every 19 minutes another life is lost to drug overdose. The Center for Disease Control recently reported that heroin-related deaths more than tripled between 2010 and 2015. Fortunately, in the face of such tragedy, it appears that awareness of this problem is growing and calls to action are increasing. In 2016, for the first time in history, the US Surgeon General declared substance abuse to be a public health crisis in a landmark report titled “Facing Addiction In America.” This report includes the following information and statistics (view the full report at https://addiction.surgeongeneral.gov/):
- 21 million Americans currently suffer from a substance use disorder- more than all forms of cancer combined.
- 1 in 7 people in the United States is expected to develop a substance use disorder in their lifetime.
- Research has shown that every $1 invested in substance abuse treatment leads to a $4 savings in healthcare costs and a $7 savings in law enforcement and criminal justice costs.
- Well supported scientific evidence shows that substance use disorders can be effectively treated, with recurrence rates no higher than those of other chronic illnesses such as diabetes, asthma and hypertension.
- Only about 1 in 10 people with a substance use disorder receives treatment!
Amethyst House is asking you to donate to our cause. In the last year, in order to keep pace with the demand for treatment services, we have expanded our outpatient office space, added an outpatient therapist to our staff, and have added a wait list coordinator for both of our residential programs. Also our Alumni Association has grown and become a strong presence in the community while adding a new website (see picture). They will receive 5% of all donations. Any contribution enhances our ability to provide quality treatment and stable housing for our program participants. In 2017 our goal is to raise $12,000 for residential kitchen and flooring updates and retaining wall repairs. Your contribution will be helping to give someone a safe place they can call home as they discover a new life in recovery. Furthermore, your contributions help Amethyst maintain the distinction of being one of the most affordable long-term, evidence-based treatment facilities in Indiana
Any donation amount is helpful and donations of $100 or more will be recognized on our website and in our first quarterly newsletter of 2017. Please take a few minutes to visit our website www.amethysthouse.org/donate.html and make your donation through PayPal/Credit Card. Thank you for donating for the well-being on the Bloomington community!
Treatment works and recovery is a possibility for everyone.
Our greatest appreciation,
Mark DeLong Executive Director